Blue Powder Ear
Recipe for “The Blue Power Ear Formula”
- 16 Oz. bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
- 4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder, 6 oz
- 16 Drops Gentian Violet 1 % Solution
Mix together in an alcohol bottle or separate bottle and shake well.. .
You need to shake the solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder.
You can purchase the “Clairol” type plastic bottle with the tip.. to dispense the solution to affected ears much easier!
Amazon Link: Plastic Bottle with dispensing Tip and Cap , 16 oz
1) Evaluate the condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore:
2) Warm the solution (as instructed above) and shake the bottle each time before using it for treatment,
3) Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle).
4) Massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue.
5) On first treatment: flood the ear twice, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage.
6) The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue
The dog will shake out the excess which can be wiped with a tissue; the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.
I try to do this outside so if excess flings it will not stain clothes, fabrics or furniture. This will stain the hair of the dog
DO THIS TREATMENT OUTSIDE! The excess flings and can stain clothes, walls and everything it comes in contact with including can stain the coat of your pet.
After they get their initial head shakes out of the way he should be fine to be inside.
- Treat 2 x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon the severity of ears
- Treat 1 x per day for the next 1-2 weeks
- Treat 1 x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog)
All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the second or third you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.
Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy. If an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water, 2x per week.
They have found the Blue Power Solution to be effective for treating fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots. You may find other uses for this simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and be careful not to get into the eyes.
Blue Power Ear Formula for Dogs Ingredients…
Gentian Violet Solution 1%
Boric Acid Powder
A Word of Caution
Always check your dog’s ears carefully before cleaning them. If you notice any swelling, redness, unusual heat or foul smell, or if your dog pulls away from you when you touch his ear, have your vet check for an infection. Don’t put off getting medical treatment. Infections can lead to small ulcers in the ear, bleeding and loss of hearing, so don’t take an ear infection lightly. When cleaning your dog’s ears, always be sure the eardrum is intact. Your vet will check your dog’s eardrums during a regular physical, and advise you on how to clean your dog’s ears.
More Home Ear Care Recipes
Apple Cider Vinegar, Alcohol and Boric Acid
Take 1/2 teaspoon of boric acid added to 2 ounces of white vinegar. Add in a few drops of rubbing alcohol and a few drops of povidone-iodine. Shake to mix. If you are concerned about staining by the povidone-iodine or don’t like its smell, you can omit it. Because of the presence of alcohol, this preparation is good for swimming.
Saturate a cotton ball, gauze or washcloth with the preparation and wipe the inside of your dog’s ear with it. Wipe again with a clean, damp washcloth.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
Some groomers and pet owners swear by apple cider vinegar and water alone.
- Make a mixture of equal parts distilled water and apple cider vinegar.
- Soak cotton balls in the mixture.
- Swab your dog’s ears, going in only as far as you can see, until the cotton balls come out clean.
- Dry the ear with a clean cotton pad or cotton ball, as damp ears are associated with ear irritation and infections.
If you are only seeking to remove excess wax, and your dog’s ears are not too dirty, you can use a few drops of almond, mineral or olive oil to loosen the wax.
Place a few drops on the visible part of the ear, give it time to loosen the wax, and allow your dog to shake his head to spread the oil.
Clean the wax and oil out with a soft, clean cloth or cotton balls.
- Find a bottle with a nozzle, like a hair color bottle, make sure it’s new.
- half white vinegar,
- half hydrogen peroxide
- splash of alcohol
Mix it up and use it as an ear cleaner for dirty ears. If there is any chance there is an infection, I use a medicated flush with antibiotic properties.” As with the other preparations, use the preparation to saturate a cloth and wipe out the visible part of the ear. Follow the recommendations of your dog’s veterinarian if you detect signs of ear problems.
What Do Dog Ear Infections Look Like?
The symptoms are pretty obvious and may start with your dog shaking or tilting his head. If you look inside the ear, you might see:
- A brown or reddish discharge
- Odor in the ear (it often smells sweet)
- Crusts or scabs on the inside of the ear
And you might see your dog:
- Rubbing his ear on your furniture
- Scratching around his ear
- Shaking or tilting his head
Over the Counter Solutions for Dogs Ear Infections and Cleaning I Trust..
Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment with Hydrocortisone
I love Zymox because it WORKS! Dare I say.. even better then some of the medications you get from the vets. I highly recommend every dog breeder have some of this on hand just in case.
- For treating inflammation of the external ear caused by bacterial, viral, and yeast infections
- Contains no antibiotics
- Destroys antibiotic-resistant organisms
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner
Epi-Otic is also a great product and especially for breeds who need extra attention and a consistent ear care routine to avoid those pesky ear infections.
- Epi-Otic may be used for routine ear cleansing in the healthy ear canal or prior to administration of other ear preparations
- Mild, alcohol-free cleansing and drying solution for routine ear care and maintenance.